Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Making it Stick {Fun Activities for Short "A" Word Families}

Alright folks, I am back! It's been a while, but I have been busy building my little TPT store and teaching a batch of Grade 1 students. I am only a few weeks away from my next little group and I am here to share a product with you that is invaluable for my first few months in Grade 1. First, let me tell you why I decided to put these ideas together. I, like any teacher, love the concise nature of a worksheet. It allows direct practice of a skill and provides assessment for us to file away. I also know that worksheets cannot be the "go-to" method of teaching. Over the past few years in Grade 1, I have slowly built up my own ways to make practicing certain concepts much more active. So, let me introduce you to my new product...
Making it Stick includes 6 games and activities that provide TONS of practice reading and identifying word families. As teachers we are faced with the reality that our classroom holds an array of different learning styles. Some students learn best through words, pictures, kinesthetic, music, interactions with others and many other experiences. It was my goal in this product to reach as many learning styles as I could. You will find activities that involve words, speaking, body movement, music, talking and interacting, and pictures. As a result, you will find your students to be motivated and excited when you pull out a Making it Stick activity! Cheers can actually be heard from my classroom when it is time for Word Family Jam!

Here is a closer look at what is included!
For each activity I have written a letter to you, the teacher, detailing the activity, offering tips and suggestions and the steps needed to set it up.
1. Read n' Circle
Students will flip through cards contained on a ring. On each card they have to look at the picture and circle the correct word. They can be combined to include all the short "a" word families on one ring, or can be broken up into separate word families.
2. Peanut Butter SLAM
This is a simple card game that includes getting up and moving while playing. Don't worry, there is lots of reading to be done, but it is broken up with activity and will keep your learners active.
3. Sticky Pics!
This is an interactive reader, but in reverse. Students will read the page and find a picture that will complete the illustration. They glue it on and then colour the page. Many of the sentences are kind of silly, which just adds to the fun!

4. Real or Nutty?
A PB and J take on Real vs. Nonsense word sorts.
5. Word Family Jam
A music and dance driven game that encourages students to identify rhyming words. The round picture cards are spread around the room. Then you turn on the music and dance. Whenever you stop the music, hold up a word card. Students need to find a picture that rhymes around the classroom. It is a bit of chaos, and a whole lot of fun! I think chaos, in the name of learning, is allowed ;)!
6. Snack Attack
This is a pocket chart game that has students working in teams to read words. If their card has a Snack Attack behind it, they can sneak a card from the other team! This is a fast-paced game that encourages interaction between your students.

Each of these activities are FUN, ENGAGING and VALUABLE! There is so much practice reading word family words and these activities will get them to STICK quick! This product is available in my TPT store now, and will be on sale for 20% off for the Back to School Boost Sale! On August 20th, use code word BOOST to get an extra 10% off - that's 28% off this product and everything else in my store. I know I am going to do some shopping too!!

COMING SOON:
Making it Stick! Short "E" Word Families
Making it Stick! Short "I" Word Families
Making it Stick! Short "O" Word Families
Making it Stick! Short "U" Word Families

Here are some of the other great products available in my store at 28% off for the sale!



 Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment